Contact us Email us
Home page Domestic EPC's Commercial (Non-Domestic) EPC's Holiday Lets EPC's Enquiry Form
  Display Energy Certificates for Public Buildings Air Conditioning Energy Assessments F-Gas Registration & Implementation  

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for Holiday Homes

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be obtained for properties that are rented out as holiday lets for 4 months or more in any 12 month period. This change will take effect from 30th June 2011.
Holiday lets are defined as a roofed construction having walls for which energy is used to condition the indoor environment. This definition excludes caravans, tents, mobile homes etc

Why has this legislation come into force?

"The extension of EPCs to holiday lets is being proposed because it will improve awareness of energy efficiency, giving the property owner and the public more information about the energy performance of the property. If recommendations in the EPC are taken up, this will lead to lower utility bills for the property owner and a reduction in CO² emissions." 

A full EPC, which is several pages long, provides two key pieces of information:

  • The energy efficiency of a property on a scale from A to G (the most efficient being A and G the least efficient). This A-G graph is published on sales particulars and on other marketing literature.
  • The environmental impact of a property, again on a scale from A to G (the most efficient being A and the least efficient G)

Part of the EPC is a recommendation report which will list the potential rating that the property would achieve, if changes were made.
This information can be used to:

  • Cut fuel bills
  • Improve the energy performance of the property
  • Help cut carbon emissions

The EPBD has always included holiday homes but only now has the UK government widened the remit to include such properties.
The landlord is responsible for obtaining the EPC. If the property is being let after 30 June 2011, then it must have an EPC. The EPC will be valid for 10 years–although it may be wise to update it to reflect any subsequent improvements to the property.
From July 2011, the EPC must be attached to written particulars where they are available.

At Two Tone Sustainability we recognise that some landlords of holiday homes have not received this news positively–perceiving it as unnecessary government bureaucracy. The concerns expressed to us include:

  • The short term tenant (the holiday maker) will not choose a holiday home on the basis of the energy efficiency of the property but on the location and level of comfort of the property
  • Consumers have little interest in energy efficiency anyway, so there is no reason to suppose that they will factor this into their decision making process when choosing their holiday accommodation
  • Since the holiday maker does not pay the bills they have no interest in saving money on energy
  • There is no point in having an EPC carried out when the bulk of the letting period is in the summer months when heating costs are at a minimum

There are a number of positive aspects to an EPC.
Many landlords already promote the green credentials of their holiday property in recognition of the growing consumer’s interest in lowering their ‘Carbon Footprint’.
An EPC provides the landlord with an official stamp of authority to back up those claims.
By following the advice in the EPC recommendation report you can make real financial savings.

Two Tone Sustainability can offer this service at a highly competitive rate
and reduce costs further with multiple buildings awarded.


If you require any further information,
or would like to discuss how we can help your organisation,
please contact Two Tone Sustainability at your earliest opportunity.

Home | Domestic EPC's | Commercial EPC's | Holiday Home EPC's | Public Building DEC's | Air Conditioning Energy Assessments | F-Gas Registration | Enquiry Form | Terms & Conditions
All content © 2011 Two Tone Sustainability Ltd.
Designed and hosted by Amethyst Consultancy © 2011-2016